Gass Museum in CoimbatoreGass Forest Museum is located in the campus of Forest College on Cowley Brown road in Coimbatore. The museum building is over 100 years old. The museum is in close proximity (3.5 kms) to the railway station. This museum is run by the Government of Tamil Nadu.
History of Gass Forest Museum
During the 19th century, J.A.Gamble who was the Conservator of the Forests in the Madras province wanted to start a museum for forestry. But due to various reasons he could not do so. Later on the museum was established by Horace Arichibald Gass in the year 1902. Gass at that time was the Conservator of the Forests. He started the museum to show the various aspects of forestry with comprehensive collection.
To begin with, Gass started the collection for museum in one room of his office building. Later on the verandah and some other rooms were included as part of the museum. Today, the building where the museum exists was built in the year 1915. The building was built in typical British Gothic style with red stones. One can see that the ventilation is spread throughout the hall.
The museum was open for public on 15th April 1902. It was inaugurated by the Governor of Madras, Baron Ampthill. During the 2nd world war, the museum was closed and turned into a rescue center for the evacuees of Malta and Greece.
Exhibits of Gass Forest MuseumThe museum includes exhibits of wildlife, insects, butterflies, wooden crafts, cultural artifacts and some of the arms used in the ancient period.
Facts of Gass Forest MuseumFacts of Gass Forest Museum
Apart from the museum, the campus also hoses other offices of the Tamil Nadu Forest Department along with Central Academy for State Forest Service, TNFA-Tamil Nadu Forest Academy and IFGTB.